Monday, June 3, 2019

Fisher brown. A rod with a story.

Here is a rare, vintage J.K. Fisher  phenolic brown glass build, in 7'6" 5wt.

In the 70's, John Kennedy Fisher rolled blanks for Winston and Scott in his plant in Carson city, Nevada.

Some say these Fisher browns were very similar to the popular Winston Stalker, designed by Tom Morgan, head designer at Winston Rod Company at that time. 

Might be a Winston blank, I don't know but it surely has that Winston feel.


I could compare it to the contemporary Morgan glass, but has slightly faster action, made from a bit heavier material, probably due to older resin system.

Overall it feels slightly heavier than modern glass, has very good reserve power and still very smooth. 

In fact, I am amazed how this vintage thing casts. I could bomb 60'-70' casts yet it feels still delicate and sweet when casted in close. Is there any other requirement for a 5wt. rod?  I think not.

I could easily call this Fisher brown the "Holy Grail" of five weight glass rods. Why I say this? Well because back then, they made rods for catching fish, and not fishermen.

Did J.K. Fisher copy some of Tom's designs from that time? Might as well be true..Nevertheless, this rod is proof  that great rods will be great rods even if fifty years have passed.

This rod remains a treasure of remarkable fly rod designs and a piece of flyfishing history that will never be reproduced.

Appointed in the Winston Stalker - Morgan style, this rod is special. I wish I kept it but decided to make someone else happy and will send it to Jory Ward, bamboo builder and friend in Utah.

I have found another 7' 5wt. that I think will turn into another great fly rod.

I hope you've enjoyed a good story. Thanks for looking!





















No comments: