Sunday, August 18, 2013

Steffen 8'6" #6/7


A new bad boy of a fly rod is born. One-of-a-kind "bronze edition" Steffen rod for a good friend in Denmark. This is one of those rods that is most time consuming. It's builds like this that make me say to myself I won't do many of them in this lifetime. Wonder when I'll have the time to build me one of these exceptional blanks rolled in a small number by Mark Steffen in Flagstaff, Arizona.
Inscripted in blood red. I think it looks cool with the bronze wraps and guides.
Fully saltwater safe, with titanium-bronze guides and anodized reel seat. The reel seat is made by Joel Lemke and it resembles the highly popular Struble U20 but in a larger diameter.


As for higher glass weights, I was skeptical in the beggining like many graphite rod users are, especially when we talk about a six or seven weight glass rod. Worries are gone when you pick up and cast a Steffen or the new Epic rods. I like both though. An Epic 686 will feel lighter on the tip, in fact all Epics have a lighter tip than most glass available, and most certainly are the best casting glass sticks ...but...

Compared to an Epic rod wich feels crisper and lighter, Steffen S-glass stands out on its own, bringing lots of reserve power for longer casts and bigger fish, all in a smooth package. And there is something about the appereance of a classy spiral finished&spigot ferruled blank.

To be really honest here, if one is a glass fisherman, then it has to have both :)

These last two rods finished are both going to the same guy and will be tested on serious fish in the saltwater. Ten-twenty pounds sea run trouts? Bring them on Peter! :)

Thanks for looking and hope you'll enjoy the pictures!


















 

4 comments:

Jay said...

Lovely again George!

I like the reel seat and the small extension butt!
What brand is the butt?

George said...

Jay, the fighting butt is turned by my own hands just as the handles:) Thanks!

Jay said...

George, that's superbly done!

I'm sure now, next rod will be a 'saltwater-ish' rod built by you!

I sold my Z-Axis 691 (saltwater version) a few months ago because I never fish in or around saltwater... :)

Hmmm.... Let me think of an excuse to get one again.

George said...

Suuure :)